Western Sumatran Style Green Chili Paste - Samba Lado Mudo

Western Sumatran Style

Two weeks ago, on Thursday afternoon after work, I was waiting for a bus, #17, at the bus stop that is closed to my work place. This bus was gonna take me to Notre Dame ave. Yupss I was going to go to my favourite oriental store. I just wanted to buy something small, such as vegetables and tofu. I didn't expect that I could find green chilies at that time. Finally I bought a pack of long green chillies, vegetables and Indian mackerel (Indonesian: ikan kembung) too.

Green Chili Paste

Weeekend is a time for me to relax. Some people have a different way to get relax, my way is by cooking of my favourite food. I decided to make samba lado mudo and lalapan daun ubi. Daun ubi means yam leaves. It's not the same as Medan people's term. I used to hear daun ubi's term for cassava (Indonesian: singkong/ubi kayu) leaves in Medan. I was thinking that steamed or cooked daun ubi must be good with samba lado mudo.

Samba Lado Mudo

Speaking about samba lado mudo, Samba Lado Mudo is Western Sumatran's dish which is very popular throughout Indonesia. This is another version of sambals and eat as a condiment as well.

Samba Lado Mudo 2

According to wikipedia, Yam is a term and common name in Canada and the US for some species in the genus Dioscorea (family Dioscoreaceae). These are perennial herbaceous vines cultivated for the consumption of their starchy tubers in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania. They are used in a fashion similar to potatoes and sweet potatoes. There are hundreds of cultivars among the cultivated species.

Samba Lado Mudo 3

One day, I was browsing on the internet and discovered several recipes (Tabloid Nova, Melroseflowers , Uni Imun’s Multiply) for Samba Lado. After examining all the different preparation methods and possible ingredients, I finally decided to create my own version. In Indonesia, people usually add green tomatoes, which I haven’t yet found in Winnipeg. Instead, I added bilimbis (Indonesian: belimbing sayur). Also, I don’t have the kind of anchovies (Teri Medan, which translated means tiny dried anchovies) that we usually use to make this version of Sambal. In my recipes, I cut dried anchovies into smaller pieces.

Category: Side Dishes and Condiments

Style: Indonesian

Special Consideration: Quick and Easy

Ingredients:

  • 15 green chillies, steam for 5-6 minutes
  • 10 shallots
  • 3 bilimbis
  • 30 g dried anchovies
  • 5 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2-3 tsp fresh lime juice
  • salt an sugar to season

Directions:

1. In a food processor or blender, place steamed green chillies, shallots, and bilimbis. Do not process too smooth, just roughly blended.

2. In a skillet, place oil and heat it over medium-high. Fry dried anchovies until cooked. Remove the anchovies.

3. Heat the remaining oil in same skillet, stir fry the blended ingredients until wilted. Add fried anchovied, stir evenly. Add lime juice, sugar and salt, stir evenly. Remove from the heat. Ready to eat as a condiment.

PS. I enjoyed this condiment with lalapan daun ubi (cooked yam leaves).