Pepes Ikan Nila - Western Javanese Style Steamed Tilapia in Banana Leaves Wrap

Pepes Ikan Nila - Western Javanese Style Steamed Tilapia in Banana Leaves Wrap

I'm just lazy to make it from scratch since I have been busy at work and today I'm going to volunteer at Folklorama 2007 for Korean Pavilion for the second time.

Folks, with this instant seasoning, all you need are freshwater fish which the original recipe suggested to use carp (in this recipe I used tilapia), Indonesian instant seasoning "Munik" for Pepes Ikan, Banana Leaves (actually other leaves are acceptable but you will get the different flavor), and daun kemangi literally translates for lemon basil in English.

I enjoyed this dish with warmed rice, raw terong gelatik putih (literally translate: Thai eggplant) and sambal terasi.

Ingredients:

  • 500 g tilapia
  • 1 package instant seasoning "Munik" for pepes ikan
  • 1 lime
  • 1 small bunch of kemangi (lemon basil)
  • 5 or 6 bird's eye chillies (optional)

Condiments:

  • raw terong gelatik putih (Thai eggplant) and other raw vegetables such as long beans, lettuce, daun poh-pohan (it's a Sundanese name for a kind of leaves that I haven't found the name in English nor Indonesian. I wish I can find these leaves here)
  • warmed rice
  • sambal terasi

Directions:

  1. Clean the stomach cavity, remove the gills and surrounding tissue, and scale them. I bought a cleaned whole tilpaia so no need to do this step, I just rinsed out.
  2. Drizzle lime over fish and rub fish inside and out with lime juice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
  3. Prepare 3 pieces banana leaves so you will have enough space for a half part of the seasoning and lemon basil. Wrap them up in banana leaves and tie them with a string or pin with wood tooth picks
  4. Steam for 45 minutes. If you want to get softer bones of the fish, just keep steaming for 5 hours.