Samba Lado Mudo

Samba Lado Mudo or Sambal Lado Mudo is one of popular condiments in Indonesia. It's originated from West Sumatra province, so if I have to translate the name, it can be Minangese Green Chilies Sambal. If you go to Minangese restaurants in Indonesia, you can ask for this condiment at no cost. Mostly, Indonesians always have sambals for their food, no wonder they have many style of sambals. Still got confused what sambal is? please do visit this link.

As I have posted on Samba Lado 2 before that I added bilimbis (Indonesian: Belimbing sayur, belimbing wuluh) instead of green unripe tomatoes. Now, I made a different substitute by adding tomatillos.

This recipe is my entry for Weeekend Herb Blogging #128, hosted by Jai and Bee of Jugalbandi. Samba Lado Mudo (Minangese Green Chilies Sambal) Modified by me.

Ingredients:

  • 25 long green chillies
  • 8 shallots (for smaller shallot like in Indonesia, use 16 shallots)
  • 4 tomatillos (original recipe is supposed to add green unripe tomatoes)
  • 100 g teri medan (dried tiny silver anchovies)
  • 5 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • salt and sugar to season

Directions:

  • 1. Steam long green chilies and shallots (some people like to steam the tomatoes as well) for about 5 minutes.
  • 2. In a food processor or blender, place tomatillos, steamed green chillies and shallots. Do not process too smooth, just roughly blended. I myself processed too smooth.
  • 2. In a skillet, place oil and heat it over medium-high. Fry dried anchovies until golden brown. Remove the anchovies.
  • 3. Heat the remaining oil in same skillet, stir fry the blended ingredients until wilted. Add fried anchovies, stir evenly. Add lime juice, sugar and salt, stir evenly. Remove from the heat. Ready to eat as a condiment. I put mine in a sterilized jar, so I can keep it longer in the fridge.