Thai Mango and Sticky Rice Pudding (Khao Nieow Ma Muang)

It's spring time in Sydney. Mango is coming into season. I can't find a better way to welcome the mango season than making this classic Thai dessert - Mango and Sticky Rice Pudding which is arguably the best of Thai dessert.

Thai Mango and Sticky Rice Pudding (Khao Nieow Ma Muang)
Thai Mango and Sticky Rice Pudding (Khao Nieow Ma Muang)

On a side note, I haven't been writing much lately. My posts are short, just long enough to describe what I need to say about the recipes. There are two main reasons behind it.

My computer that I work on everyday (the one that I can't live without) has died last Friday. While nothing is lost on the hard disk but I will need to get a new computer which will take about 2-4 weeks to arrive. At the meantime, I am using the second unit: my tiny lapbook which is notoriously hard to type and edit photos.

The second reason is that we had too much fun on our recent Port Douglas holiday. We went on a 80km/h speed boat (the reef sprinter) to get to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling. While speeding against the wave, my old joints couldn't take it and shifted :p The force has aggravated my old neck and back injury which requires a couple of physio sessions to fix them. While at it, my physio has instructed me not to spend too much time in front of my desk.

Mango and Sticky Rice Pudding (Khao Nieow Ma Muang)-(Serves 4)

(Adapted from Food of the Word Cookbook)


Ingredients

  • 4 large ripe mangoes
  • 200 g (1 cup) glutinous rice
  • 170 ml (2/3 cup) coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 170 ml (2/3 cup coconut cream mixed with 1/4 tsp salt, for garnish
  • 2 tbsp dry-fried mung beans (optional)

Method

  1. To Make Sticky Rice: Put the glutinous rice in a bowl and pour in cold water to come 5 cm (2 inches) above the rice. Soak for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Drain and transfer to a steamer. Spread the rice in the steamer. Cover and steam at low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the rice swells and is glistering and tender. The cooking time will vary depending on the soaking time.
  2. While the rice is cooking, stir the coconut milk, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. As soon as the rice is cooked, use a wooden spoon to gently mix it with the coconut milk. Set aside for 15 minutes.
  3. Peel the mangoes and slice off the two outside cheeks of each, removing as much flesh as you can in large pieces. Avoid cutting very close to the stone where the flesh is fibrous. Discard the stone. Slice each cheek lengthways into four or five pieces.
  4. Arrange the mango pieces on a serving plate. Spoon a portion of steamed sticky rice with coconut milk near the mango slices. Spoon the coconut cream garnish on top and sprinkle with mung beans. Serve at room temperature.

Labels: , , , ,