Fig Sorbetto

Fig Sorbetto

I just received my new ice cream maker today! I have got to try it out. Flipping cookbooks, flipping food magazines..... FIG! Another of my favourite fruit. It's almost at the end of the fig season. I was lucky to be able to find some at one of my local fresh fruit and vegetable store.

Close your eyes when you first taste this sorbetto - it will take you to some exotic place. I often wonder how something so simple to make can taste so very good. - Valli Little

Need I say more?

Fig Sorbet Recipe

(Recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine March 2009 issue by Valli Little) Serve 4-6

Ingredients

  • 12 ripe figs, trimmed
  • 200g vanilla sugar* (see note at bottom of post)
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 200ml thickened cream

Method

  1. Process the fig (there's no need to peel them), vanilla sugar and lemon juice in a food processor until well combined. Add the thickened cream and pulse until smooth.
  2. Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
  3. Alternatively, Pour the mixture into a shallow container and freeze for 2 hours or until frozen at the edges. Remove and beat with electric beaters, then return to the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Serve scoops of sorbetto in glasses.

Note: I used cinnamon sugar instead of vanilla sugar. To make your own vanilla sugar, store any leftover vanilla beans (once you've used their seeds in another recipe) in your caster sugar container. After 2 days, the vanilla flavour will have infused the sugar. Substitute regular caster sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

Labels: , , , ,