Homemade Tofu

Homemade Tofu

Growing up in Asia, I ate a lot of tofu. My family loves tofu and my mum has many lovely tofu recipes. I will share with you here some of my favorite tofu recipes.

Let's start with making tofu in your own kitchen. It's extremely easy and involves only two main ingredients: Egg and Soy Milk.

Note: The commercial tofu doesn't have egg unless it's labelled as 'Egg Tofu' or 'Japanese Egg Tofu'. The commercial tofu uses other setting agents usually calcium chloride or calcium sulphate instead of egg to coagulate soy protein to make tofu.

Homemade Tofu (Beancurd) Recipe


Ingredient

  • 6 eggs
  • 500 ml unsweetened soy bean milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Method

  1. Break eggs into a big bowl, lightly beat with a fork.
  2. Pour in soy milk and salt. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Strain egg and soy milk mixture into a 7" dish (lined with cling wrap).
  4. Steam over low heat for 20 minutes.

There are many ways to cook tofu. My favourite way of serving it is to drizzle the tofu with soy sauce and sesame oil, sprinkle it with chopped spring onions, fresh red chillies and deep-fried shallots.

More tofu recipes coming your way....

Labels: , , , ,