Custard Apple (Cherimoyas) Honey Yoghurt

Custard Apple (Cherimoyas) Honey Yoghurt

Custard Apple (Cherimoyas) is now in season in Australia. Growing up as a child in Malaysia where custard apple is easily available, I enjoyed the sweetness and creaminess of the flesh and I had plenty of fun spitting the black seeds in a big bowl handed to me by my mum.

I haven't thought about using custard apple in any recipes until I saw a pamphlet in my local Woolworths Supermarket promoting custard apples. Ideas were brewing in my mind after reading the 'Tips and Hints' section and I made this healthy and yet delicious yoghurt for breakfast.

Custard Apple Honey Yoghurt Recipe (Serve 2)


Ingredients

  • 1 custard apple
  • 2 cups Greek yoghurt
  • Handful of flaked almonds
  • Honey

Method

  1. Remove the black seeds from custard apple flesh then puree flesh until smooth.
  2. Swirl through your yoghurt and sprinkle with flaked almond.
  3. Drizzle with honey to add extra sweetness.
  4. Serve immediately.

Note: This recipe is great for breakfast or after dinner dessert.

More on Custard Apple:

  1. Look for plump fruit with no splits or skin discolouration. Pale green custard apples are ready to eat straight away, whilst dark green fruit will need a few day to ripen.
  2. Dark green custard apple should be allowed to ripen at room temperature until pale green. When ripe, they will yield slightly to gentle pressure (similar to an avocado). Once at this stage, they're best stored in the fridge and used within 2 days.
  3. A custard apple's creamy flavours are complemented by dishes which combine them with cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon, orange, honey and vanilla.

Labels: , , ,