Lombok Kethok (Java Style Stir Fried Chilies)

Lombok Kethok

This is my second time to do a guest post for another Malaysian blogger. Thank you to Ann for the opportunity. Unfortunately, I kept postponing the write-up. Sorry Ann for that.

Ann of Pigpigscorner is one of the bloggers who has made me drooled over her food pictures. I'm flattered when she asked me to be her blog's guest post. Then I asked her any suggestion for recipe that I should present. She was saying that she was thinking an Indonesian food with kecap manis. Great! Both of us love this ingredient. As we came from neighbouring countries in South East Asia, we share many same things in food.

I have explained about kecap manis on my blog before, the history of it. The food that I'm going to represent here is a Javanese dish. Many Javanese foods (especially the Central Java) include kecap manis since the people from this area typically like sweeter foods. Lombok Kethok is literally translated as Cabai Potong in Indonesian or Chili Cut in English. For the name is chili cut, surely this dish contains lots of chili. Basically this is a stir fried chilies. FYI, some people wrote the name as lombok ketok (without h in between t and o) which has a different meaning, visible chili.

In this recipe, I used green chilies only and beef. Some people add red chilies (or red cayenne peppers) as well. The beauty of this dish, you can make it straight vegan by adding tempeh or tofu. Or else you can pour the stir fried over your grilled/fried fish.